Tree care on your property

Trees on your property are your responsibility and you need to make sure that trees on your land are safe and free from disease.  Your trees should be regularly inspected, preferably by a trained and qualified tree surgeon.

A tree surgeon (or arborist) is a specialist in tree care.  Tree surgeons are knowledgeable about the needs of trees and are trained and equipped to provide proper care.   Proper tree care is an investment that can add considerable value to your property as well as ensuring attractive trees to enjoy.   Poorly maintained trees can be a significant liability and dangerous to property and people. Tree work should be done only by those trained and equipped to work safely in trees.

How to spot disease problems with your trees?

There are many types of fungus and diseases that can attack trees.   Some of these are relatively harmless, but others problems can escalate if left untreated and lead to the death of the tree.

The best time to examine your trees is during the growing season as it is easier to spot problems when the tree is in leaf.

Leaves – do they look different to usual?  Have they changed colour or not grown as they usually do?

The canopy – are there gaps that aren’t usually there?  Or does it look as though the tree might be dying from the outermost tips?

The trunk – are there cavities or does the wood look in a bad condition compared to usual?  Is there any visible fungus growing on the tree?

If you are worried about your tree, please do call me and I can identify what might be the problem and if action is needed.

Responsibilities of tree owners

If your tree overhangs the road, you must keep it trimmed so that there are no low hanging branches that could affect vehicles or pedestrians.

The local council requires work to be carried out on your tree if:

  • it hinders the movement of vehicles or pedestrians
  • it is dead or is likely to fall or collapse
  • it obscures the line of sight at a road junction
  • it obstructs streetlights, pelican crossings or road signs

Your local council also needs to be contacted if:

  • the tree on your property is protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO)
  • and/or your property is within a Conservation Area
  • if the work required will need to be done from the highway.  This is to ensure appropriate safety measures are in place.

As part of my service, I will contact the local authority and make any necessary planning applications on your behalf.      

No Comments Yet.

Leave a reply